Sonor is the second Cirque du Soleil at Sea resident production created by Cirque du Soleil: Events + Experiences for MSC Cruises. It is one of two Cirque du Soleil at Sea show for MSC Cruise's MSC Meraviglia cruise ship alongside the show Viaggio. Sonor premiered on June 4, 2017 in the Carousel Lounge on the MSC Meraviglia.
In 2013, MSC Cruises and Cirque du Soleil created a partnership to develop 8 unique shows for 4 MSC cruise liners. MSC Cruise's executive chairman Pierfrancesco Vago made the decision to partner with Cirque du Soleil wanting to improve the entertainment portion of MSC cruise ships. The first two shows for MSC Cruises Viaggio and Sonor were developed in 2017 and released simultaneously on June 4, 2017. The second and third pairs of cruise shows premiered 2019 and the fourth pair of cruise shows premieres in 2020. Each show performs in front of a 400-guest audience six nights per week.
Set and Technical Information
The Carousel Lounge for Viaggio and Sonor were designed by Marco De Jorio. The stage is an intimate 360-degree stage containing a rotating disk. The entrance to the center ring is able to lift slightly and contain props. There is a wind tunnel located up above the center ring is able to be lowered for projections to be shown upon. Also above the center ring is a carousel aerial tramway used for rigging props and performers above the stage. Behind the center stage is the long interactive LED screen crossing across the lounge. The theater is able to hold 413 guests. The cost for the development of the Carousel Lounge is €20 million ( $22,045,840 USD ).
Costume designer Liz Vandal wanted to create "real-life clothing" mixed with a "tribal-futuristic avant-garde" feel to the costumes of Sonor. The color palette for the costumes is grey, white, and black. This was chosen so when the costumes appear in the light, they become the focus of the show.
When the Cyr Wheel costume is reflected with UV light, the costume shows snake-like patterns.
- Sonor: A abstract virtual ring that continuously alters its appearance throughout the show. It represents a single sound and can morph and personify into various artists such as The Beatboxer.
- The Sound Thief: The antagonist of Sonor. The Sound Thief conceals sounds that provide him with energy and for his own personal amusement.
- The Tribe: The personification for sound. They represent the motion of sound through artistic movements and performances.
- The Opening ( Opening ):
- The Sound Thief ( Interlude ): The Sound Thief takes human form and discovers the power of Sonor.
- The Motion of Sound ( Cyr Wheel ): An artist performs on a Cyr wheel.
- Sound Throwing ( Interlude ): The Sound Thief and Sonor show off their powers of sound.
- Visual of Sound ( Aerial Straps ): An artist performs an aerial straps act.
- Ne Me Quitte Pas ( Interlude ): Sonor leaves his virtual form and transforms into a human form.
- Human Symphony ( Beatboxing ): Sonor in the form of a human expresses his voice through beatboxing.
- Seeing Through Movement ( Contemporary Dance ): A group of dancers performs a dance on stage.
- Artistry of Sound ( Aerial Hoop ): An artist performs an aerial hoop act.
- Vibration of Sound ( Banquine ): A group of artist performs various aerial lifts.
- Finale: Sonor is shown to be apart of all the artists and all sounds.
The music for Sonor was composed by Maxim Lepage. Since sound is at the main theme of Sonor, Lepage focused on creating a multi-layered electronic soundscape. Along with a combination of synths and beats, Lepage incorporated ambiance and human sound effects. These sounds are human panting, breathing, shouts, singing and clapping to add an organic feel to the electronic soundtrack. Lepage also used sine waves throughout the music to compliment the Sonor character.
Behind The Scenes
- Cirque du Soleil and MSC Cruises - the first Cirque du Soleil theatre at sea! Retrieved from https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Partnerships/MSC-Cruises-Cirque-Du-Soleil-Partnership.aspx
- (2017 22). Retrieved from http://cdn.msccruises-platform.com/msc/press/media/press-materials/attachments/cirque-du-soleil-at-sea-pres-kit.pdf
- Marcellin, F. (2018, February 27). Cirque du Soleil takes to the high seas for the first time aboard MSC's lavish new cruise ship. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/msc-meraviglia-cirque-du-soleil-at-sea/
|Cirque du Soleil at Sea|
|MSC Cruise Liners|
|Cirque du Soleil: Events + Experiences|
|Events + Experiences • Nextasy|
|Clubs & Lounges|